The Department of General Medicine offers a broad range of services for the diagnosis and treatment of medical problems and carries with it a sterling reputation of reliability and exceptional nursing facilities. Apart from the daily Out Patient services, the department also has a medical intensive care unit and a well-equipped accident and emergency section working round the clock for providing critical health care.
Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU)
The MICU is a fully equipped 15 bed facility that serves critically ill patients suffering from various medical problems. The unit cares for patients whose lives are in immediate jeopardy or whose clinical condition necessitates specialized nursing and the assistance of advanced technology. Under the supervision of individual nursing staff, each patient is ensured round-the-clock quality care.
Accident & Trauma Care Centre
The Trauma Care Centre at Ernakulam Medical Centre, opened in 1994 as part of the Accident & Emergency Department, was the first of its kind in Kochi. Here, a team of specialized doctors and paramedics supplied with sophisticated instruments and diagnostic facilities are capable of handling emergency life saving intervention & resuscitation and surgical procedures. Specialists from other departments including general surgeons, neuro surgeons, orthopaedicians, cardiologists and pulmonologists are always available to ensure timely attention. The Centre also has separate intensive care units which work 24 hours to provide top quality emergency care in cases of trauma and burns.
Trauma Intensive Care Unit (TICU)
With a capacity of eight beds, the TICU provides immediate response to medical and surgical emergencies including polytrauma conditions. The unit plays an integral role in the hospital and has the following facilities:
- 24 hour casualty care
- Most advanced emergency care equipments to monitor the patients’ condition
- Round-the-clock consultancy backup by the in-house specialists from other departments
- Expert surgeons from neurology and orthopaedics on call
- Skilled paramedical and nursing care for each patient
- Immediate access to other support services like Pharmacy, Laboratory, Radio diagnosis & imaging
- State-of-the-art critical care ambulance
Burns Intensive Care Unit (BICU)
The Burns Intensive Care Unit (BICU), another major accomplishment of the hospital, is a one-of-its-kind unit with a 5-bed capacity and the following facilities:
- Complete barrier nursing with a 1:1 nurse-patient ratio
- Laminar flow air conditioning
- Modern monitoring devices like cardiac monitors, pulse oximeters, CVP monitors, Ventilators for respiratory burns and acute respiratory distress syndrome
For appointments: 0484 2807101 to 2807109 or 0484 2807277, 0484 2807288
Team of Doctors
Chief Consultant Physician
Sony Joseph Vadakel
Chief Consultant Physician