Psychology is an academic discipline and an applied science that deals with mental health – the study of human mind and behavior, embracing all aspects of our daily activities. Mental health refers to the way in which we are aware of our own abilities to cope well with the ups and downs of life. This emotional well-being complements our physical health that helps us to work productively to make a contribution to our community. Psychotherapy is the term generally used for the treatment of mental health.
Mental health problems mainly belong to two types namely
• Neurotic symptoms that range from the daily worries we all have from time to time, which can be managed without any serious medication or clinical treatment.
• Psychotic symptoms with serious long term problems that require treatment to manage them effectively.
While the symptoms belonging to both the above types overlap each other in many ways, there is a marked difference in the treatment methods adopted and the profiles of healthcare people who provide psychotherapy services.
Psychiatrists and psychologists are the two different types of professionals trained to help you deal with mental health issues. Both are there to talk you through your problems. They aim to provide you with the means to manage the issues in your everyday life. However there are some major differences between the two categories as detailed below:
• Psychiatrists are medical doctors (MDs) with a background in biology and neurochemistry, specialization in psychology and the necessary training and experience in the treatment of serious mental disorders such as chronic anxiety, schizophrenia, hallucinations, eating disorders or bipolar disorders. They can prescribe medicines, clinical investigations or provide inpatient treatment with the assistance from other multidisciplinary specialists.
• Psychologists, on the other hand, normally have a degree or specialized training in any area of psychology, the study of the mind and human behaviour. As they are not medical doctors, they cannot prescribe medicines. However, they are trained in the field of consultation, giving psychological tests such as IQ tests or personality tests and analyzing the behavioural patterns of the patient, as part of treatment.
As one the best counselling centres in Ernakulam, our psychologists provide comprehensive talking therapy services for neurotic symptoms to treat your mental problems.
Factors affecting mental health
A range of factors can impact our emotional well-being that includes
• Prolonged stress
• Physical illness
• Traumatic events
• Economic and social issues
Mental health issues with neurotic symptoms include:
• Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
• Post traumatic disorders (PTSD)
• Panic disorders
Symptoms of mental health problems
Unlike in physical disorders, there are no obvious symptoms for mental and emotional well being, as each individual is different from one another. The symptoms are often hidden or mistaken for other things. Some general signs to look for could include:
• Avoiding social contact
• Brooding or excessive crying
• Feeling tired
• Drop in productivity
• General neglect of personal care
Our trained staffs of counselling centres with a humane approach can identify the underlying reasons of your problems through one-to-one or group sessions of talking therapy and motivate you to overcome the root cause of these problems. As treating the condition of mind is a very complex process, the best counselling centres in Ernakulam take utmost care to ensure the following:
• Customized treatment plan for each patient through extensive consulting sessions.
• Allows the patient to talk freely about their problem without fear of criticism or judgement.
• Your case history is treated with absolute confidentiality between you and your counsellor.
• Motivate the patients to use their own insight in overcoming their problems.
• Encourages the family to engage as a unit in cases of family related issues.
• Keep track of the entire treatment plan for each patient through the different stages.
Click Here to learn more about some of the common conditions and treatments provided by the department of the best counselling centres in Ernakulam.
Counselling is provided for children and adults.
|Click on the name to learn more about the consultant and to schedule an appointment.|