Dermatology is a part of medicine that deals with disorders of skin, nails, hair and mucous membranes, a lubricating tissue lining an internal surface or an organ.
Skin is the largest organ in the human anatomy that protects your body and also does the following functions:
• Prevents dehydration by holding body fluids inside.
• Prevents infection by keeping out harmful microbes
• Helps you feel conditions like heat, cold, pain etc
• Helps you to keep your body temperature even
• Producer of Vitamin D from the sunshine for your body
Skin diseases, numbering over a known 3000 types are normally caused by allergies, irritation, clogging or inflammation, with symptoms like redness, swelling, and itching.
As one of the best dermatology care hospitals in Kochi, EMC provides the services of a team of specialists with a wide range of experience in the diagnosis and treatment of various skin diseases.
Symptoms of skin diseases
As there are many types of skin diseases with varying or common conditions, the symptoms of each are different, sometimes visible from outside for superficial skin diseases. Some of the most common visible symptoms of skin diseases are:
• Appearance of sores on the skin, which may ooze, rupture or crust over
• Itchiness on the skin, which may increase in intensity during the night
• Tiny bumps or fluid-filled blisters appearing on the skin
• Changes in the color of the skin
• Blood vessels that seem visible on the cheeks and nose
• Patches that are brownish or grayish in color
• Scaling or thickening of skin, with the formation of cracks in them
• Bleeding from cracks and dry patches on the skin
• Rawness or increased sensitivity in the skin because of itching
In many cases, skin diseases can trigger off symptoms that are not visible. There are several other signs and symptoms too that could accompany skin diseases, such as:
• Stiffness in the joints
• Fever, which could vary from moderate to high
• Running nose
• A dry cough or soreness and irritation in the throat
• Conjunctivitis or inflammation in the eyes
• Increased sensitivity towards light
Causes of skin diseases
Some of the main causes of skin diseases include:
• Genetic influence
• Exposure to chemical substances that damage the skin
• Wounds, Cuts or scratches on the skin that allow bacteria to enter and cause an infection
• Close contact with a person already having a skin disease
• Infection arising from sharing personal items of an infected person
• Other day-to-day factors such as the sun burn, strenuous exercises, eating high amounts of spicy food etc.
Scope of Services
The department provides treatment for all common skin diseases such as skin cancer, acne, warts, psoriasis, cutaneous infection, eczema and other related conditions.
Special treatment is also available for hair, pimples, nails, anti ageing and lightening (fairness).
We also have an exclusive hair loss clinic facility in the department.
Common conditions and treatments provided by the dermatology department. Read More…
The department has excellent supporting facilities such as clinical laboratory departments for carrying out investigative tests, phototherapy, lasers and IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) treatment and a comprehensive range of equipment to carry out diagnostic and treatment functions.
Our Specialist Consultants
Dr. K.N.Prakasam, MBBS, DVD
Medical Superintendent & Consultant Dermatologist