Urology refers to a wide variety of conditions related to the urinary tract, an organ for filtering and removal of urine out of the body.
These conditions can affect patients of all ages and can be congenital. The organs under the domain of urology include the kidneys, adrenal glands, ureters, urinary bladder, urethra and in the case of males, their reproductive organs namely testes, prostate and penis.
Scope of Services
The Urology department in Ernakulam Medical Centre offers comprehensive service to diagnose and treat urological conditions in adults, paediatrics and neonatal patients.
Laparoscopic surgery for many of the conditions including urological cancer is also routinely done.
Common urological conditions we treat include:
• Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)
• Urinary incontinence
• Urinary Tract Infections (UTI)
• Kidney and Ureteral stones
• Prolapsed bladder
• Blood in the urine (Hematuria)
• Interstitial cystitis or painful bladder syndrome
• Prostate cancer
• Bladder cancer
• Kidney tumour
• DJS Removal
• TURP (Transurethral Resection of the Prostate for benign prostatic hyperplasia
• ESWL – (Extra corporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy). A non-invasive treatment of kidney stones and gall bladder stones using an acoustic pulse.
Paediatric urology conditions include those involving the genital and urinary tracts and are often developed as congenital. We provide the best treatment for such conditions that include:
• Antenatal hydronephrosis – a fluid filled enlargement of the kidney prior to birth and often detected through prenatal scanning.
• Neurogenic bladder
• Nocturnal enuresis – bedwetting beyond a certain age
• Spina bifida
• Undescended testes
• Services of experienced consultant urologists for diagnosis and treatment as outpatient and inpatient including surgical cases.
• Multidisciplinary support, specially from nephrology and paediatric consultants
• Specialized services for paediatric and neonatal urology
• Well equipped operation theatres for laparoscopic surgeries and intensive care facilities for post surgical care
• Facilities for hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis
• Support services such as clinical laboratory, CT / ultrasound scan and pharmacy available round the clock.