Dermatology is a part of medicine that deals with disorders of skin, nails, hair and mucous membranes, a lubricating membrane lining an internal surface or an organ. Ernakulam Medical Centre, the best skin clinic and helps you to get rid of skin disorders.
Skin is the largest organ of the body and there are about 3000 known diseases of the skin. Skin covers and protects your body and also does the following functions:
• Prevents dehydration by holding body fluids inside.
• Prevents infection by keeping out harmful microbes
• Helps you feel conditions like heat, cold, pain etc
• Helps you to keep your body temperature even
• Producer of Vitamin D from the sunshine for your body
Skin diseases are normally caused by any allergies, irritation, clogging or inflammation that occurs to the skin, with symptoms like redness, swelling, and itching.
The dermatology department in the hospital consists of a team of specialists with a wide range of experience in the diagnosis and treatment of various skin diseases.
As there are many types of skin diseases with varying or common conditions, the symptoms of each are different, sometimes visible from outside for superficial skin diseases. Some of the most common visible symptoms of skin diseases are given below:
• Appearance of sores on the skin, which may ooze, rupture or crust over
• Itchiness on the skin, which may increase in intensity during the night
• Tiny bumps or fluid-filled blisters appearing on the skin
• Changes in the color of the skin
• Blood vessels that seem visible on the cheeks and nose
• Patches that are brownish or grayish in color
• Scaling or thickening of skin, with the formation of cracks in them
• Bleeding from cracks and dry patches on the skin
• Rawness or increased sensitivity in the skin because of itching
In many cases, skin diseases can trigger off symptoms that are not visible. There are several other signs and symptoms too that could accompany skin diseases, such as:
• Stiffness in the joints
• Fever, which could vary from moderate to high
• Running nose
• A dry cough or soreness and irritation in the throat
• Conjunctivitis or inflammation in the eyes
• Increased sensitivity towards light
Causes of skin diseases
Some of the main causes of skin diseases are the following:
• Genetic influence
• Exposure to chemical substances that damage the skin
• Wounds, Cuts or scratches on the skin that allow bacteria to enter and cause an infection
• Close contact with a person already having a skin disease
• Infection arising from sharing personal items of an infected person
• Other day-to-day factors such as the sun burn, strenuous exercises, eating high amounts of spicy food etc.
Click Here to learn more about some of the common conditions and treatments provided by the department of the skin clinic in Ernakulam.
The skin clinic in Ernakulam has excellent supporting facilities such as clinical laboratory departments for carrying out investigative tests, phototherapy, lasers and IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) treatment and a comprehensive range of equipment to carry out diagnostic and treatment functions.
Click on the name to learn more about our specialists.
Dr. K.N.Prakasam, MBBS, DVD
Medical Superintendent & Consultant Dermatologist
Dr.C.K.Prasad, MBBS, M.Derm(SISD-New Delhi), FSASMS
Dr.V.P.Kuriyipe, MD, DDV