Antenatal care is the healthcare and support normally received from medical professionals while you are pregnant. This will normally be spaced out through the different stages of your pregnancy.
Pregnancy is measured in trimesters from the first day of your last menstrual period, totaling 40 weeks.
The first trimester of pregnancy is week 1 through 12, about 3 months.
The second trimester is week 13 to week 27.
The third trimester of pregnancy spans from week 28 to birth.
You will be required to visit the doctor periodically to assess the following:
• Your health and the wellbeing of your baby
• Watch out for any problems with your health so that it can be correct early
• Check if you need any special treatment
• Provide advice about how to look after your health and your baby’s health
• Answer any questions you might have regarding pregnancy
• Help you plan your baby’s birth
Routine checking of blood pressure and ultrasound scans, along with laboratory tests of blood and urine will be carried out, results analysed and corrective measures recommended.
Apart from the clinical assessment, antenatal care may also include providing help if you are suffering from antenatal depression or anxiety, which if corrected in advance, can help you to experience a happier and more relaxed pregnancy, which can also benefit your child. Ernakulalam Medical Centre has a Counselling and Psychology unit that can provide you professional help in this regard.
To make your antenatal care fool-proof, we have incorporated a cost effective package called JANANI. For more details of the JANANI package, please click here.