The Accident & Emergency (A&E) department, the first line of defence in any instance of public health emergency, is one of the oldest units in EMC, working round the clock on all days. Thus EMC is considered as the best emergency care hospital in Ernakulam.
With over three decades of proven track record in the field of emergency care hospital in Ernakulam, the unit continues to be the first choice for patients with all types of medical and surgical emergencies including paediatric, obstetric and gynaecological cases. Our state-of-the-art Burns ICU is a referral centre for the treatment of burn injuries and attracts patients from all over the region.
A triage team composed of experienced doctors and nurses carries out the initial emergency treatment plans on the patient, after which specialist advice is sought from the multi-disciplinary consultant team in the hospital for the next plan of care.
Routine emergency procedures that are handled include the evaluation and primary management of traumatic conditions such as
- Resuscitative measures, rapid sequence intubation and fluid replacement using pressure pumps.
- Management of blood loss and shock.
- Neurosurgical emergencies including airway management, convulsions and spinal injuries.
- Open and closed chest & abdominal trauma including intercostal chest tube drainage and special resuscitative measures in cases of internal or external bleeding.
- Orthopaedic trauma including wound debridement, POP application, placement of limb traction, closed reduction of dislocations etc.
- Oral & maxillofacial trauma including airway management and reduction of TMJ dislocations.
- Evaluation and management of burns including fluid replacement and burn dressings.
- Paediatric emergencies.
- Medical emergencies including CVA, acute coronary syndrome, poisonings/envenomations, acute dyspnoeic states like severe asthma.
- Surgical emergencies like acute abdomen, GI bleeding.
- Psychiatric emergencies like manic states.
- ENT & Ophthalmologic emergencies, epistaxis, foreign body removal etc.
- Gynaecologic emergencies and resuscitative measures in case of internal bleeding.
- Assistance to handle all medico legal procedures involving accidents, arson or attempted suicide.