Portal hypertension treatment is required when there is an increase in the blood pressure within a system of veins called the portal venous system. Veins coming from the stomach, intestine, spleen, and pancreas merge into the portal vein, which then branches into smaller vessels and travels through the liver.
Any damage to the liver causes a blockage of the blood flow through the liver creating high pressure in the portal vein. This causes large swollen veins called varices within the esophagus, stomach, rectum or umbilical area. Varices can rupture and bleed, resulting in potentially life-threatening situations.
The most common cause of portal hypertension is due to cirrhosis of the liver, along with blood clots in the portal vein, a parasitic infection called schistosomiasis or focal nodular hyperplasia, a disease seen in people infected with HIV, the virus that may lead to AIDS.
The main symptoms of portal hypertension include:
• Gastrointestinal bleeding marked by black, tarry stools or blood in the stools, or vomiting of blood due to the spontaneous rupture and hemorrhage from varices
• Ascites (an accumulation of fluid in the abdomen)
• Encephalopathy or confusion and forgetfulness caused by poor liver function
Portal hypertension treatment focuses on preventing or managing the complications, especially the bleeding from the varices. Move on with the fine hypertension treatment in Ernakulam, which is managed by EMC. Diet, medications, endoscopic therapy, surgery, and radiology procedures all have a role in treating or preventing the complications. Another treatment depends on the severity of the symptoms and on how well your liver is functioning. EMC provides the best hypertension treatment in Ernakulam, Kochi.
Maintaining good nutritional habits and keeping a healthy lifestyle may help you as a part of the portal hypertension treatment. Some of the things you can do to improve the function of your liver include the following:
• Do not use alcohol or street drugs.
• Do not take any over-the-counter or prescription drugs or other herbal medicines without first consulting your doctor.
• Follow the dietary guidelines given by your physician/dietician, including eating a low salt diet. Reduced protein intake may be required if confusion is a symptom. A dietitian can create a meal plan for you. Contact EMC for more details, where you can get the best hypertension treatment in Kochi.