Surgical services Safety in EMC
1. Surgical patients have a pre-operative assessment and a provisional diagnosis, documented prior to surgery.
2. Documented policies and procedures exist to prevent adverse events like wrong site, wrong patient and wrong surgery.
3. The operating surgeon documents the post-operative plan of care.
4. There is a documented policy and procedure for the anaesthesia administration and a pre-anaesthesia assessment by a qualified physician.
5. Anaesthesia administration includes regular and periodic recording of heart rate, cardiac rhythm, respiratory rate, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, airway security and level of anaesthesia.