Dr. Nasser Yusuf, MS(MCh),FIACS, FICC
Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon
• Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS).
• Master of Surgery
• MCh Cardiothoracic Surgery
• FIACS, FICC
• FAGE (Fellow of Academy Of General Education)
• BLS (Basic Life Support)
• ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support)
• ATLS (Advanced Trauma Life Support)
• Served as Assistant Professor at Kasturba Medical College (K.M.C.) Manipal, India.
• Eight years of experience in Specialty in both Ireland and UK.
• Extensive training in Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery, Valve Replacement, Heart Transplant and also Thoracic Surgery.
• Served as Assistant Professor at Yenepoya Medical College – Mangalore, Rajeev Gandhi University – Karnataka.
• Was Visiting Consultant to Meenakshi Mission Hospital Madurai – Tamil Nadu.
• Consultant in Baby Memorial Hospital – Calicut (12 years).
• Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon in Ernakulam Medical Centre and Kerala Institute of Medical Sciences Kochi.
• Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon in Chest Hospital and PVS Hospital, Calicut.
• Attached to KIMS Trivandrum.
• Associate Professor in Malabar Medical College in Calicut.
• 1998: Successfully started Bypass Surgery in Malabar in Fathima Hospital.
• 1999: Initiated Keyhole Surgery of Chest (Thoracoscopy) in Malabar.
• 2010: Successfully conducted live workshop on Thoracoscopy at the National Conference NAPCON) in Jodhpur, Rajasthan.
• 2014: Organised VATCON 2014 in Kochi where in 36 Interventional Pulmonologists and Thoracic Surgeons received hands on training on Thoracoscopy.
Dr. Nasser Yusuf was born in Mumbai. He did his schooling from both Kolkata and Mumbai. He took his Bachelor’s (MBBS) and Master’s Degree (MS) in Surgery from Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, AMU. He qualified as a Cardiothoracic Surgeon from K.M.C, Manipal and was awarded the Gold Medal while there. He served in the same institution as Assistant Professor. He received the FAGE from KMC, Manipal, Mangalore University in 1991. Thereafter he secured a position in Ireland and subsequently to the UK, where he spent 8 years in the Specialty. He completed BLS, ACLS and ATLS from the College of Surgeons, Ireland.
He has extensive training not only in Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery, Valve Replacement, Heart Transplant, but also in Thoracic Surgery. He is the first to successfully start Bypass Surgery in the Malabar at Fathima Hospital in 1998.
In 2002, he initiated the Keyhole Surgery of Chest (Thoracoscopy) in Malabar and today Calicut is the most advanced centre in Kerala for treatment of Chest Diseases. He has the unique distinction of having successfully performed surgery on a 5 day old baby with pus surrounding the heart and also on a 105 year old man with a burst lung.
Despite his busy schedule, he finds time for organizing Heart Care Camps, lecturing at seminars and voluntarily offering his expertise to the less fortunate.
Presently Dr. Nasser Yusuf is the Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon at Chest Hospital and Baby Memorial Hospital in Calicut. He is also an associate professor at the Yenepoya College in Mangalore.
Dr. Nasser Yusuf is the proud recipient of the Vijayshree Award in 2004 at the National Level.
• Vice President; Cardiology Club, Calicut.
• Executive Member; Kerala Heart Care Society.
• Co-ordinate of Detection of Heart, Diabetes and Hypertension program jointly organized by Malayala Manorama and Kerala Heart Care Society.
• Conducted the National Workshop on VATS at Broncocon 2008.
• Presented over 100 papers, talks, and presentations in State, National and International Levels.