The Advanced Neonatal & Paediatric Tertiary Care Centre of the childrens hospital in Ernakulam provides health and medical care to new born babies, infants, toddlers and children up to the age of 18.
Treating a child with an illness is not the same as treating an adult, as it requires specialized care and a different degree of understanding. Unlike adults, children cannot always say what is bothering them nor can often provide reliable answers to medical questions. It is also difficult to medically examine an infant or a child as they tend to be restive and probably not co-operative during the process. The clinician must also take into account the immature physiology of the infant or child when considering symptoms, prescribe medications, and diagnose illnesses. A paediatrician should also be more concerned about congenital defects, genetic variance, and developmental issues than a physician treating an adult.
The department of childrens hospital in Ernakulam comprises of a team of well-qualified specialist consultants, junior consultants and a group of nursing staff specially trained in delivering neonatal & paediatric patient care. This is complemented by excellent support from other multidisciplinary specialist departments, when required, especially in life threatening emergencies. All these factors have made the department a front runner in providing comprehensive paediatric healthcare and have earned the status of a referral unit in the region.
• Outpatient & Inpatient services for children aged up to 18 years
• Well Baby Clinic for your child’s immunization needs
• Retinopathy of prematurity screening and laser therapy
• Hearing assessment and speech therapy
• Neuro developmental assessment and intervention
• Paediatric emergency care and CPR (Cardiopulmonary resuscitation)
• Paediatric surgery
• Paediatric orthopaedics – Correction of limb deformities & endoscopic removal of foreign bodies
• Paediatric endocrinology – For child obesity, juvenile jaundice, hypothyroidism and other hormone disorders
• Nutritional assessment and dietary advice
• Child psychology and counseling services
• Education on safe parenting
Click Here to learn more about some of the common conditions and treatments provided by the department of childrens hospital in Ernakulam.
• Housed in a spacious environment with facility for parents to stay overnight.
• Availability of a resident paediatrician providing 24×7 service.
• Specialized multidisciplinary support such as obstetrics, neurology, paediatric surgery for handling emergencies.
• State-of-the-art operation theatre suite for handling a variety of surgeries.
• Paediatric ICU (17-bed facility)
• Specially trained nursing staff providing one-to-one care in the ICUs
• Modern equipment for monitoring the child’s condition such as pulse oximeters, syringe infusion pumps and life-saving devices such as paediatric ventilators.
• Imaging services that include Neurosonography, MRI, CT, Colour Doppler, X-ray, ECG
Dr.T.V.Ravi, MD (Paed.), DCH
Head of the Department & Chief Paediatrician
Dr. Grace Thomas, MD, DCH(Neonatology) (UK)
Senior Consultant Paediatrician
Dr. M.Narayanan, MD, DCH
Visiting Consultant Paediatrician
Dr. M.Suma, MBBS, DCH
Dr. Reeba Chacko, MBBS, Dip. Paed. (Vienna)
Dr. R.Sindhu, MD, DCH,DNB(Paed.)
Dr. A.Indra, MBBS, DCH
Dr. R.Srividya, MBBS, DCH, DNB